- Raw Vegan Food Preparation Demo: Breakfast - Lunch - Dinner - Dessert
Sunday January 22, 2017 at Mississippi Market in St Paul MN
I was really happy to accept an offer to teach a Raw Vegan 'Cooking' Class with the Animal Rights Coalition. The class was held at Mississippi Market in St Paul MN, and we had more people show up than had signed up before the event! Great turnout, and it seemed like everyone really enjoyed the food and raw food tips. I did not take any photos at this event, so apologies for the lack of documentation on this post (lesson learned for next time!)
I wanted to share meal ideas with the class that can help when cravings arise for familiar comfort foods, showing examples for each meal of the day (breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert). I made a point of explaining that to truly make raw foods sustainable long-term, that gourmet recipes are best as a treat and not staple meals.. it could get very expensive and time consuming to try and prepare gourmet meals for every meal! To add, the food combining is not always the best for optimal digestion. More typical meals consists of whole fruits, smoothies, juices and simple salads.
For breakfast, I demonstrated the steps to make a big bowl of raw cereal with milk. Definitely a childhood favorite of mine (and I know for many others too), and I have created a really tasty and filling raw vegan version.
Lunch was a bit more a of a typical dinner option for me.. a big green salad with a creamy mango-pepper dressing.
Dinner was voted as the crowd-favorite.. raw tacos with mango salsa. YUM
Dessert is one of my personal favorite meals (yes, I consider it a meal!). Raw Vegan Nutella was on the menu for this demo. My recipe turned out a bit watered down in the demo, so its modified here to come out with more flavor and better consistency (for class members.. only modification is to omit the 1/2 cup reverse osmosis water that I added at the end)
Thank you so much to everyone that came out to the class, and I hope you enjoyed the food. Im so happy to share these nourishing and comforting raw plant-based recipes with you!
Share good health with yourself and your community!
Raw Vegan Cereal with Almond Milk
Raw Almond Milk:
- 1 cup dry raw almonds (soaked overnight in clean water)
- 1 date (pitted)
- 1 pinch of vanilla bean (or vanilla bean powder)
- 12-16 oz of clean water (add more for thinner milk, or less for thicker)
- method.. place all ingredients in high-power blender and blend on high until smooth like a milkshake. Then strain through nutmilk bag (or a few layers of cheesecloth)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 6 tbsp raw almond milk
- method.. soak chia seeds in raw almond milk for 15-20 mins, or until chia seeds have absorbed all of the liquid and formed into a pudding
- 1 cup dried white mulberries (processed-ground with 1/4 tsp cinnamon)
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup sliced bananas
Assembly Method: add bananas, strawberries, and cinnamon-mulberry-crumble to a big cereal bowl, top with raw almond milk and garnish with a big dollop of chia pudding, grab a big spoon and dig in!
Hearty Green Salad with a Creamy Mango-Pepper Dressing
- 3/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 heaping tbsp raw tahini (or 1/4 cup sesame seeds)
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced mango
- 4 oz fresh orange juice (1 orange juiced)
- 1 oz fresh lemon juice (1/2 lemon juiced)
- 1 tbsp chopped Thai chili pepper (1 pepper)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves (5 large leaves)
- method.. set aside basil, then combine all other ingredients in blender to blend on high until well combined and creamy. Add basil leaves and pulse in 3-5 times.
- desired amount of mixed greens and chopped lettuce
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup chopped tomato (or halved cherry tomatoes)
- 1 cup sliced avocado
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
Assembly Method: set aside avocado, then combine all other ingredients in a large salad bowl. Add dressing and massage in with hands to combine well and break down the greens a bit (less crewing by mouth when pre-chewed by hand!). Add avocado last and enjoy!
Raw Vegan Tacos
- 1 medium or large jicima
- method.. peel, then slice horizontally with large mandolin slicer
Walnut Taco Filler:
- 1 cup raw walnuts (soaked or dry)
- 1/8 cup chopped tomato
- 1/8 cup soaked sundried tomato
- 1/8 cup chopped poblano pepper
- 1/2 date
- 2 oz fresh lime juice (1 lime juiced)
- 1/4 tsp cumin (add a bit more if desired)
- 1/4 tsp chili powder (add a bit more if desired)
- 1 tsp dried oregano (optional)
- method.. combine all ingredients into food processor and run until combined and crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped mango
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped avocado
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 oz fresh lime juice (1/2 lime juiced)
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- method.. combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss together
Assembly Method: take a jicima taco shell and fill with walnut taco filler, then mango salsa, add an extra squeeze of lime if desire then indulge. This recipe was definitely the class-favorite!
Raw Vegan Nutella
- 2 cups pitted dates (loosely packed, soaked if not soft)
- 1/3 cup raw hazelnuts (soaked)
- 16 oz young Thai coconut water
- 3 tbsp carob powder
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- pinch vanilla bean (or 1/8 tsp vanilla powder)
- method.. combine all ingredients in high-power blender and blend until thick and creamy.
Assembly Method Ideas:
- slice bananas and chop dates, then coat in raw nutella
- slice bananas and coat in ripe persimmons, then add a big dollop of raw nutella on top
- slice bananas and strawberries, add blueberries, then coat in raw nutella
- dehydrate banana pancakes to make crepes, then stuff these filler ideas inside!
Thank you so much for reading through these recipes.. I hope you get the chance to make them for yourself!
Wishing you the best of health and happiness